Thursday, March 27, 2014

Something old

My place in time #43

This is the sticky note I instagrammed on Monday for #projectcalmdownmum. 

Where did I go? Probably not where most mums would take a two year old for some time out of the house. We went to our local cemetery, the old section.

She had a ball walking around with me, probably walked over one too many graves. On that day in history there would have been several people in the late nineteenth/early twentieth century stating that someone just walked over their grave. It was Summer.

We spent nearly an hour wandering around, it wasn't so bad. I found it very interesting and intriguing, not creepy at all. I could go back again and have another look, I didn't see everything.

If I had of been thinking I would have taken a few bunches of flowers, I am so going to do that next time. The place could do with some brightening up.



FLORIE
Died 26th Dec 1885
aged 9 1/2 months
'The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away'

Little Flories tiny grave caught my eye and drew me closer.




Who was Lillie Nash? Intriguing.

We found some ancestors.
Fanny and John had 18 children. One of which, Samuel, fathered a girl, Nancy Wanda.
That girl is my grandmother, she'll be 85 this year.

Some facts, Samuel died when mum was preggers with me.
My sister was born the following year on Samuels birthday.
Summer sits on Richards grave, Fannys brother in law and Johns brother.
Yes I have Dick and Fanny in my family tree!





Looking from the old to the new


Flogging my blog with Grace

20 comments:

  1. What a lovely cemetery! I am fascinated by old graves, I just think it's so interesting to wonder who they where and how they lived. How nice to be able to visit your ancestors as well.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in the back of my mind that they were there somewhere, was happy to come acroos them. At least I know where they are now. I'd like to go back and see Samuels though :)

      Delete
  2. I have often walked through cemetries. I like looking at the headstones and trying to imagine what the person and their life was like. I haven't done it for years though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great adventure for you guys! You are brave taking photos of graves, though. I am so superstitious about that stuff. I've done it before, I even took a photo of the 9/11 site, but I stopped almost immediately—gives me the heebeegeebees. Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get the heebee jeebies a little when I went to bed that night. I couldn't get Lillie or Florries graves out of my mind. I would have no probs going back though and doing it again :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos married together with sensitive words - a great combination here

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to spend time around these old cemeteries, the beautiful headstones, just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness living to 96 years old back in the 1940s that is quite an achievement really? Love cemeteries - not in a morbid way but they are steeped in history. And just wanted to say that I'm so very grateful for your fantastic notes, they are AWESOME! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved looking around, it made want to go to our local history group to have a dig around in the archives!
      I am hoping I have a majority of Johns genes, I'd like to live a long life :)

      Delete
  7. Fascinating, not creepy. One day I should go and visit the big local cemetery too, but I doubt I'd have any takers... I expect there'd be quite a few children in there from the olden days, which would be sad. Wow for finding ancestors... 18 CHILDREN?! Lordy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS: There's something- really *something* about that second last photo that is compelling. The colour, the sky, the line of cloud, the side on view and that leaning angel. It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photos and I would find walking around cemeteries interesting when I was young too. There was an abandoned one near where I lived, up on the cliff overlooking the coast line. My special thinking place. I'd always go and visit a baby's grave. There was an old toy attached to it. Fascinating indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tiny old graves are really moving, precious. So sad to think that the poor little souls died of something our own babies are lucky to survive these days with immunisation and modern medicine.

      Delete
  10. and 18 children?!!! Crikey! I can barely manage two!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's really cool that you took your daughter to a cemetery, and cooler still that you documented it for your blog and for all of us to read about. The photos are amazing. I love the one with your daughter holding the purse. But, man, 18 kids?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love walking round the historical part of a cemetery. They should put the cause of death on the head stone.
    It certainly gets you wondering what became of the young people in particular. What's really sad is the graves become poorly maintained because all who knew them have passed.
    Carolyn Desire Empire

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...