Monday, April 17, 2017

Easter Sunday

Yesterday was pretty relaxed. It was a little different from the past couple of years when we've usually spent the end of the day down the beach in the Canunda National Park with family.

My nephew was in town though, and he joined us for dinner at home, which was great as he is off to live in Japan. My neice, his cousin is also in Japan for the next few years. Who would have thought that was going to happen ever. We miss them already.

I spent some time pottering about the garden, and the kitchen, lingering far too long where the chocolate was being stored and unsuccessfully resisting the temptation. God damn you caramel popcorn chocolate eggs!

I took the camera outside where Ellie our kitten explored the outdoors, Summer pretended to be a super hero and I basked in some Autumn sunshine.

I finally pulled out my basil plants, all measly four of them, and made my own pesto. My first batch ever! I had them growing in pots with tomatoes, which I pulled out a couple of days ago. 

I've used pumpkin seeds(pepitas) in my pesto. Traditionally pesto has pine nuts in it, I didn't have any of those, I always have pepitas as I use them in porridge or with yogurt.

Basil and Pumpkin Seed pesto

2 handfuls of fresh basil(about a cup)
1 small garlic clove
20 grams pumpkin seeds
15 grams parmesan cheese(just the cheap packet stuff, I not fancy!)
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons of olive oil

Blitz in a mini processor, place in a jar and store in the fridge.

I usually pour a little olive oil layer on top of the pesto.

The basil pots. I pulled out the tomatoes that were growing with the basil. I have replanted Silverbeet in one and Coriander seeds in the other.





One of our beauty parrots



Supergirl rescuing the cat from certain peril



Super girl rescuing a teddy in distress


Supergirl painting herself with her 'sidekick' Peppi the dog, rescuing the cat from a tree, while I made pesto. All the cute!





10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely and relaxing day yesterday. Your pesto sounds delicious!

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had it with pasta for lunch today, and it was SO delicious!!

      Delete
  2. I love how you found so much to capture via the lens in your own backyard...and the pics are just delish...and your recipe made from your ingredients also sounds like a winner! We've had glorious sunshine and warmth this Easter and it looks like you have too! Enjoy the school hols with the girls at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely day yesterday. I love your little kitty! :) Basil pesto is great to make, isn't it? I don't add parmesan to mine but maybe should start considering it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love parmesan, even as a garnish on soup! My youngest screams the house down if she runs out on her pasta!! It's a glorious day today too, we've been so lucky this long weekend :)

      Delete
  4. Your garden is stunning. The kitty looks adorbs and pesto is on my list of makes. Happy Easter Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie is so cute, except when she jumps up on my lap with her claws out, then not so lovable! :)

      Delete
  5. The pesto looks amazing and how cute is your kitten? Happy Easter!

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I love basil pesto and have been known to make it when I have enough leaves hanging around. I never pull my basil, it just grows and grows and grows. Hopefully the new garden will be the same. I love the look of your garden and can just imagine spending time in it in the warm Autumn sun. I hope you had a lovely Easter. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...