Thursday, March 7, 2013

Peach BBQ sauce

Me and Izzy picked the last of the peaches. I had heaps, and there was no way we could eat all of these before they went bad. The freezer had enough frozen peaches in it, so I made sauce!

Peach BBQ sauce
2.5 kg peaches(no stones or skin)
1 1/2 onions, chopped( I used Spanish red onions)
1 3/4 cups soft brown sugar
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tblsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tblsp tomato paste
2 Tblsp chilli powder(use 1 if you don't want the spicy kick)
1 Tblsp ginger powder

Add all to a large saucepan. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes to soften everything.
Mash with a potato masher to break up peaches.
Continue simmering uncovered for 40 minutes, the liquid would have reduced to nearly half.
Puree with a stick blender until smooth. 
Pour into sterilised jars and label.
I split the recipe between two saucepans.


I've used this a couple of times to marinade chicken wings and it was good! I can't wait to try it with other meats, like pork and lamb. If you are up for it, you could add some whiskey or a drop of liquid smoke for a different flavour. I am kicking myself I didn't add liquid smoke to one of the saucepans. Oh well next time.

Linking at Jacana for Totally Thursday


7 comments:

  1. Yum! Interesting combination! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that sounds like and interesting sauce. Never heard of liquid smoke - what is it??
    Thank you for linking in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a smoky flavour in a bottle, you don't need much. My hubby bought it for roasting meats. The first attempt was hilarious because he doesn't read direction, even the dog wouldn't eat it!
      www.bbqhq.net

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious Alicia. We've got a similar problem here at the moment, except its an oversupply of persimmon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow, Would be interesting to google what you could use them for :)

      Delete
  4. Haven't seen this before but sounds great. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I've never made sauce, although it is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...