Thursday, September 26, 2013

Yumptious Fish soup


It might not look like much, but I loved it. Yumptious :)

Mum said my Russian Grandpa used to make a soup like this, I can't remember it. I do remember his tomato soup. I am not sure if it was homemade or out of the can, but I used to love the way he put cubes of cheese at the bottom of the bowl. It's one of my favourite memories of him cooking for me. 

The other thing I recall always seeing in his fridge is Rollmops. It must have been where my taste for them came from. 
About to tuck in :)

My brother surprised me a few weeks back when he rang me from Adelaide where he was visiting. He was in Hahndorf and asked me if I wanted some. It lightened my heart because he had thought of me when he saw them, remembering my taste for them, which in turn reminded me of my Grandpa. 

It's kind of a relief, for your sake, that this soup doesn't have rollmops in it, the pickled fish are an acquired taste and not everyones cup of tea. 

1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, diced
180 grams diced bacon
2 sticks celery, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
2 medium potatoes, chopped in 1cm dice
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups milk, warmed in microwave
1/2 cup corn kernels
400 grams fish(I used Mulloway)
100 grams scallops*
1 1/2 cups fish stock

*I used frozen scallops from the supermarket. If you don't have them you can just use 500 grams of fish. You can use mussels(in the shell) for something fancy. Add them for the last two minutes and serve on top of soup.


Heat oil and fry bacon until just starting to crisp.
Add onion, celery and garlic and fry until onion is soft.
Add flour and stir in for a minute.
Add potato, milk and stock, simmer until thickens, about 5 minutes.
Add corn and fish and cook until fish is opaque.
Add in scallops for the last two minutes.
Season and serve.


15 comments:

  1. Mmm... pickled fish... and with the extra allure of the name 'rollmops'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't had them for ages, and was a bit hesitant when I had the first one. They are still not too bad :)

      Delete
  2. I am definitely not sold, looks like a great recipe though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still soup weather here, this chowdery soup hit the spot.

      Delete
  3. The soup looks delicious! Yes Rollmops are definitely an acquired taste, but I am a fan. Just love them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I'm not alone! These ones have a dill pickle in the middle too, I don't remember that the last time I had them. They are good in small doses, I don't think I could eat the whole jar at once.

      Delete
  4. Mmm, this sounds yummy and such a nice and different way to have fish. My Oma (we're dutch) used to love eating the rollmops, so do my parents but I could never stomach the taste. There are many other dutch foods I love though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, not a fish lover AT ALL! (People say I don't deserve to be a Queenslander because I hate seafood!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love clam chowder, but don't often get it here in Australia. I think this would be a good alternative to that and I'm definitely going to bookmark this page to surprise my family with something different. Do you just get the fish stock in the supermarket? I've never used it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get fish stock in a small carton from the supermarket, where they have the stock cubes. Freeze the left over if you don't use it all, or if there isn't enough just make up the extra with water.

      Delete
  7. Fish soup - yum, yum and yum again! I would never have thought to use bacon - will have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing Alicia.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband will love this. I have all the ingredients except for the scallops which I will substitute with prawns...glad about the roll mops though...not my cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fish soup. But you can keep the pickled herring. (I tried it when we were living in Amsterdam and not a big fan!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today. Venetian Blinds

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...